Origin Design (formerly IIW) is a full-service professional design firm offering architecture, engineering, field services and land survey. We deliver impactful, sustainable solutions to help the clients and communities we work with thrive and grow.
Origin Design is continually seeking highly-qualified individuals to enhance our staff and better serve our clients. We are currently hiring a full-time Senior Architect who will be project leader for healthcare, education, commercial, institutional and industrial projects. This position will work closely with clients, staff and consultants to develop projects from inception through construction. The position will be based out of our Dubuque office.
Origin Design emphasizes training and professional development to facilitate personal and professional growth in your career. We’ve worked hard to develop a culture of collaboration and position our employees for success. If you join our team, we will help you grow your skills and encourage your creativity. Your future starts here. #itstartshere #origincrew
- Architect of Record. Responsible for finished plans, specifications, or approval of materials and construction.
- Research and interpret applicable codes and regulations and verify that materials and details of construction are in conformance with codes and regulations.
- Act independently regarding architectural methods and complexities.
- Oversee production of construction drawings, exhibits and reports.
- Provide design input and supervise development of construction drawings and specifications.
- Direct architectural staff in performing design tasks and developing architectural drawings.
- Advanced knowledge of technical specifications and general conditions/prepare specification front ends.
- Conduct peer reviews of concepts, alternatives, drawings, etc.
- Oversee preparation of estimates of probable construction costs.
- Coordinate and review work of civil, structural, MEP and other consultants.
- Keep current on “state of the art” in design specialty through review of periodicals and continuing education.
- Responsible for coordination and completion of addendum documents.
- Mentor architectural staff.
Project Delivery Responsibilities
- Serve as project manager for large and complex projects.
- Estimate fees, determine scope of work and prepare proposals and contracts for professional services.
- Actively manage client budgets, schedules and programs; project communication and documentation; office administrative tasks; and project team assignments.
- Responsible for the coordination of all project efforts, administrative and technical, to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective execution of assigned projects.
- Experienced with contractor coordination and various construction processes, such as fast-track, CM, design/build and traditional.
- Define and fulfill the project programmatic requirements with an architectural design solution consistent with the firm’s design philosophy and client’s needs.
- Responsible for preparation and distribution of bidding documents.
- Attend bid openings and assist in bid review.
- Oversee construction administration, including submittal reviews, responses to RFIs, payment requests, perform site visits and prepare punch lists.
- Serve as primary client manager to bring schedule, budget and scope of work to completion and to the client’s satisfaction for multiple clients. Manage client relationship strategies.
- Lead marketing and business development efforts to expand business.
- Build the professional practice of the firm and enhance its reputation with clients, the public and the profession.
- Has established network of contacts within the community including clients, professionals, officials, consultants, decision makers, etc.
- Routinely interact with organization leaders, clients, customers, officials and others.
- Participate in technical and professional societies.
- Serve on local, state and national planning or policy boards.
- Supervise, evaluate, motivate and develop architectural staff.
- Iowa Registered Architect.
- 20 years of experience preferred.
- Experience in one or more of healthcare, education (K-12 and higher), commercial, institutional and industrial projects.
- Working knowledge of Revit and SketchUp.
- Possesses exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Work-life balance.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Remote working options.
- Competitive compensation packages.
- Paid sick and vacation time off.
- ESOP Employee Ownership.
- Strong health care plans.
- Disability insurance coverage.
- 401k program with employer match.
- Continuing education.
- Tuition assistance.
How to Apply.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Origin Design is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.